Get Rid Of Your Sciatic Nerve Pain With These Natural Remedies.
The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body. The sciatic nerve pain also called sciatica is a pain caused by the irritation of the sciatic nerve. This pain is usually felt from low back to behind the thigh and radiating down below the knee.
Below are Remedies That Will Help Relieve Your Sciatic Nerve Pain
…..1. Hot or Cold Compresses
Using hot or cold compresses can help relieve sciatica pain and inflammation. Heat treatment relaxes tense muscles that may be compressing the sciatic nerve. Cold treatment reduces swelling around the nerve and also numbs the pain.
You can also alternate heat and cold, starting with the hot compress and ending with the cold compress. When using heat, use moist heat like a steamed towel as it is more effective.
- Place a hot or cold pack on the affected area for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Do this every few hours until you get relief.
Note: Do not use cold compresses if you have circulatory problems.
Turmeric is another effective natural remedy for sciatica because of its anti-inflammatory properties. It contains a compound called curcumin that helps reduce nerve pain and inflammation.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric to 1 cup of milk. You can also add a small cinnamon stick. Boil the solution. Sweeten this healthy drink with honey and drink it once or twice daily until you see improvement.
- Another option is to take 250 to 500 mg turmeric supplements 3 times a day for several weeks. Consult your doctor first.
Note: Turmeric may not be suitable for those taking blood thinners or diabetes medications. Those suffering from gallstones should also avoid it.
Massage therapy can relieve sciatica pain and also help the body heal itself, especially if the problem is caused by a muscle spasm. Plus, it helps release tension, stimulate circulation and increase the range of motion.
- Massage the affected area with St. John’s wort oil 2 or 3 times a day until you get relief. St John’s wort has anti-inflammatory properties that help relieve sciatica pain and inflammation.
- Another option is to add 3 tablespoons of nutmeg powder to 1 cup of sesame oil. Heat the mixture. Allow it to cool and massage the affected area with it when it is comfortably warm. Do this a few times a day for a few weeks.
- You can also consider trigger-point massage therapy at least once daily. Pain in the lower back, buttocks and side of the thighs is often associated with trigger points in the gluteus medius and minimus muscles.
CONTINUE READING ON THE NEXT PAGE